31 CHARGED IN VICE BLITZ

on

[from Hackney Gazette]

31 CHARGED IN VICE BLITZ

hg.editorial@archant.co.uk
09 October 2008

Thirty-one men including a doctor are due in court today (Thursday) charged with kerb-crawling following a mass police crackdown on prostitution.

The men, whose ages range from 20 to 70, will appear before Thames magistrates’ court accused of soliciting sex.

They are alleged to have made their way to Hackney from as far afield as Berkshire and Essex. The three-day crackdown, from Monday to Wednesday last week, focused on the borough’s notorious vice hotspots.

Officers from the borough’s vice unit made arrests in Shacklewell Lane, Dalston, and Brownswood Road, Finsbury Park.

The zero tolerance approach has been welcomed by a community, which has long blighted by the vice trade.

Rev. George Hargreaves, a preacher at the Hephzibah Christian Centre in Beechwood Road, Dalston, said: “I have always been a great believer with regards to the sex trade that if you deal with the demand then the supply withers.

“It’s basic business sense. So if by cutting down the kerb crawlers it cuts down on the demand then you affectively deal with the supply because it ebbs away.

“This approach should be continued so it becomes just as dangerous to kerb crawl in Hackney as it does to park on a double yellow line.”

Vivien Ashton, the chair of the Queensbridge safer neighbourhood panel, said: “Whilst the panel has not highlighted kerb-crawling as a priority ourselves, in general terms we have noticed that it has become endemic in the area.

“It’s a signal crime which is what we call low level crime that attracts more serious crime to an area.

“With prostitution comes drug dealing because they are linked so it’s important to break that cycle.”

“It is a much more affective and fairer policy to target the kerb crawlers than it is to target the prostitutes.

Cllr Patrick Vernon, of Queensbridge ward in Dalston, said: “It’s important to be proactive on this issue especially if people are coming from outside of Hackney and preying on vulnerable women.”

Thirteen prostitutes were also stopped by officers during the three-day operation and two were given cautions.

All 31 men were charged with kerb-crawling and released on police bail to attend Thames Magistrates Court today.

[from The London Daily News]

31 nabbed in Hackney kerb-crawling blitz

31 men including a doctor appear in court today charged with kerb-crawling after cops cracked down on prostitution in Hackney.

The men, whose ages range from 20 to 70, will appear before Thames magistrates’ court accused of soliciting sex.

Police say the men came as far afield as Berkshire and Essex in their attempts to buy sex on the streets of Hackney. The three-day crackdown, from Monday to Wednesday last week, was the latest effort to shut down the boroughs notorious red light districts in Shacklewell Lane, Dalston, and Brownswood Road, Finsbury Park.
Zero tolerance

Long suffering residents have praised the zero tolerance approached to clean up the area, sighting the need to target the demand rather than the supply.

However, 13 prostitutes were also stopped by officers and two were given cautions.

Advertisements

One Comment Add yours

  1. adrian says:

    those prostitutes shoud be arrested and sent to prison. they killing people with hiv MURDERERS

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s