BLAZE at derelict Stoke Newington library sparks fears of explosion.
26 August 2009
A mystery blaze at a derelict library sparked fears of an explosion after gas cylinders were discovered inside this morning .
Flames engulfed the former council-run Brownswood Library on the corner of Brownswood Road and Seven Sisters Road, Stoke Newington, which closed 13 years ago and has been occupied in recent times by squatters.
The Fire Brigade received numerous calls from passerby and nearby residents after the blaze broke out at 7.15am.
Fire crew manager Paul Dykes, from Stoke Newington Fire Station said firefighters had to be extra careful to prevent the gas cylinders exploding.
The one-storey building had been earmarked for development by the Genesis Housing association into a five-storey block of 17 residential flats.